Help a parent or elder with a power of attorney

Do you have a parent or other loved one who needs your assistance with some of the tasks of daily life?  Not someone who needs full-time care, but someone in late innings of their life who requires some guidance.  Now is the perfect time to help them plan for the remainder of their life without worrying about how they will be cared for.  If a senior citizen reaches the point where he or she has lost the capaciButty to make financial or health decisions, the only solution may be to establish a conservatorship.  But by acting promptly, a power of attorney can be established.   This power can be specific to either financial or health decisions.  Or both.  If your loved one is already facing some health problems, now is the time to contemplate the tough decisions which may need to be made further down the road, and to memorialize them in an Advance Health Care Directive, in conjunction with a POLST (Physician’s Order for Life Sustaining Treatment).  Establishing these things now will prevent conflict in the future over what your loved one “would have wanted.”  And that will provide everyone peace of mind.